During the era of Spanish missions in pre-statehood California, Paso Robles was known to the Native Americans and missionaries as the "Hot Springs".
Impressed by the healing powers of the hot springs, the missions’ padres made annual pilgrimages from Santa Ynez, San Luis Obispo, and San Antonio to bring their sick to be healed by bathing in and drinking the thermal waters of the Paso Robles Hot Springs.
The first Paso Robles Hot Springs Hotel was built in 1864 right next to the natural artesian hot springs well. In 1891, the old hotel was replaced with a magnificent new all-brick hotel. Taking more than one million bricks and two years to build, the new hotel became known worldwide as a health resort.
In 1906, a new bathhouse and indoor plunge was completed. It was designed by the famous architect W. H. Weeks, and was situated close to a new hot springs well which produced over a million gallons per day at 106 degrees Fahrenheit.
In 1999, vowing to restore the property to its original glory. The hot springs well was re-drilled, and Deluxe Spa rooms featuring private Paso Robles mineral springs spa tubs were added.
In 2003, the San Simeon Earthquake shook the town of Paso Robles and caused much destruction to the small town of Paso Robles. Unfortunately the Inn's Annex building did not fair well in the quake and was eventually demolished.
Completed in the summer of 2005, the new Jesse James Building opened to replace the downed Annex Building. Featuring 18 brand new rooms, the addition of the building adds 6 deluxe suites and 12 beautiful new standard rooms. The two room suites feature private balconies with Paso Robles hot springs spa tubs.